Featured Post

Free The Hostages! Bring Them Home!

(this is a featured post and will stay at the top for the foreseeable future.. scroll down for new posts) -------------------------------...

Sep 29, 2014

Book Review: Food for the Spirit

NOTE: I was not paid to review this book. It is an unbiased and objective review. If you have a book with Jewish or Israel related content and would like me to write a review, contact me for details of where to send me a review copy of the book.

Book Review: Food for the Spirit, by Rabbi Shmuel Herzfeld


 Food For the Spirit is a great book leading up to Yom Kippur.

Rabbi Herzfeld is a synagogue rabbi in Washington DC, and Food For The Spirit is a compilation of about 20 essays that were originally divrei torah and speeches he shared with his congregation on Yom Kippur over a period of 10 years.

What is unique about Food For The Spirit is that these essays are not in the usual Yom Kippur style of being somber, calling for introspection and repentance, and perhaps a severe style. Rabbi Herzfeld's style is to look at Yom Kippur as a day of celebration, a joyous day, and his essays explore that approach.

Each essay is a joy to read. They are both thoughtful and thought-provoking. They are peppered with stories, but not parables or ancient stories of ancient rabbis - stories that happened to him, to his shul, to his community. Some are unbelievable, some are fascinating, some are humorous, and all make the essays so much more readable and enjoyable and help Herzfeld drive his point home.

Food For The Spirit is a book that I would take with me to shul on Yom Kippur to read from during the "down times" of the services,  to gain some inspiration and focus on some thoughts and ideas. I would, but I already read this book in the days leading up to Rosh Hashana and finished it in shul on Rosh Hashana! I found the themes discussed to be just as relevant and thoughtful for Rosh Hashana as they are for Yom Kippur. And, even though I already finished this book in shul on Rosh Hashana, I very well might take it to shul again on Yom Kippur and read parts of it again.

There is not much time before Yom Kippur for you to get this book, but if you can you should.


buy Food For The Spirit on Gefen

buy Food For The Spirit on Amazon.com





NOTE: I was not paid to review this book. It is an unbiased and objective review. If you have a book with Jewish or Israel related content and would like me to write a review, contact me for details of where to send me a review copy of the book.


-----------------------------------------------------
Reach thousands of readers with your ad by advertising on Life in Israel
------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...